Saturday, April 9, 2011

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon (April 2011)



AND SO IT BEGINS! Here's where I'll be updating my status and participating in events throughout the day.
Photobucket
7AM, HOUR 1:

Starting my first book, Vespers Rising (book 11 of The 39 Clues), and to kick things off, here's a few facts about me and my reading environment:
1)Where are you reading from today?
I'll be reading in my room, all around my room. Bed, desk chair, floor...I like to read in
weird positions, so I probably be moving around a lot.
2)Three random facts about me…
- I love eating birthday cake for breakfast.
- My body doesn't respond normally to pain numbing drugs like novicaine--whenever I go in for important doctor stuff they always have to give me an extra dose so I don't feel what's going on.
- I hate mayo.
3)How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
I posted a picture last night, but the list is subject to change. Right now it's sitting at 14.
4)Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on
blogs)?
Nah, I'm just happy to be reading and participating. :)
5)If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time?
I'm a n00b! Give me advice!
Photobucket
8AM, HOUR 2:

Reading: Vespers Rising (book 11 of The 39 Clues)
Format: Hardcover
Page: Not really sure...the first 100 pages or so are marked with random letters instead of numbers, like a code.
Location: My bedroom
Eating/drinking: Jasmine tea
Thoughts: Loving this book. It's about time we got some backstory. So many things make so much more sense now that we get to see what caused the whole 39 Clues race in the first place.

Photobucket
9 AM, HOUR 3:

Reading: Vespers Rising (book 11 of The 39 Clues)
Format: Hardcover
Page: Finally made it to the page numbers, and I'm on page 108
Location: My bedroom, hiding under my desk
Eating/drinking: Nothing at the moment
Thoughts: Still loving this book and it's characters. Dan and Amy's ancestor, Madeline Cahill, is totally awesome.



Photobucket
10 AM, HOUR 4:

Reading: Still reading Vespers Rising (book 11 of The 39 Clues)
Format: Hardcover
Page: Only on 147...I had to take a break to discuss the positives and negatives of buying a saxophone with my brother. He thinks I should.
Location: The kitchen
Eating/drinking: Eggo waffles and nutella
Thoughts: I wish I was a Cahill. Even though saving the world is hard, it sounds fun.


Photobucket
11 AM, HOUR 5:

Reading: Finished reading Vespers Rising (book 11 of The 39 Clues), and now I'm moving onto Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Format: Hardcover
Page: 1
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Nothing at the moment
Thoughts: WE SO EXCITED EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T FRIDAY.



PUZZLE CHALLENGE

Guess the book title based on the picture clues!

(Hint: The author is Sarah Beth Durst)

Photobucket

INTERMISSION

Lol, I went into town with my friend to look at the Borders closing sales and to look at musical instruments.
(Because buying MORE books is exactly what I need to be doing right now.)

Photobucket

5 PM, HOUR 11:

Reading: Since I just got back from shopping I'm just starting Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Format: Hardcover
Page: 15
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Easter candy
Thoughts: Easter candy is so delicious.



Photobucket

6 PM, HOUR 11:

Reading: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Format: Hardcover
Page: 80
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Easter candy
Thoughts: Ah, I love Rachel Hawkins' sense of humor. The woman is super silly, and I love Sophie and Jenna's conversations. Vampires ponies for the win!


Photobucket

7 PM, HOUR 12:

Reading: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Format: Hardcover
Page: 134
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Nothing at the moment.
Thoughts: I wonder what things would be like if I was a demon? Hm...




HALF-WAY SURVEY

1. What are you reading right now?
Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins!
2. How many books have you read so far?
This is only my second...I took a break earlier today to go out with my best friend, who is visiting from school this weekend.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
I'm really looking forward to finishing Demonglass, and I'm looking forward to reading A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull.
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?
I did a lot of my homework yesterday so I wouldn't worry about it tonight. But then new plans got in the way...
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Yeah, a few important phone calls from my parents. I had to take them, though, so I'm not sure if I really "dealt" with them, tehe.
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
Hm...aside from a few interruptions, it's been pretty easy. The two books that I've read so far are both books I was really excited to read, so I haven't had any problems focusing so far.
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
No, everything has been awesome. :)
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?
Turn off my phone. Heh.
9. Are you getting tired yet?
Nope!
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?
I think that it's really important to pick books that you know you're going to love. That way, staying focused is easy!
Photobucket
INTERMISSION

Dinner time!

Photobucket
9 PM, HOUR 15:

Reading: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Format: Hardcover
Page: 150
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Moar Easter candy.
Thoughts: I should start downing some energy drinks.





Photobucket
10 PM, HOUR 16:

Reading: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Format: Hardcover
Page: 200
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Amp! My first energy drink of the night. Things should get trippy soon.
Thoughts: Demonglass is awesome! I know it's taking me forever to get through this book, but at least I'm enjoying it. :D


Photobucket
11-12 PM, HOUR 17-18:

Reading: Finished Demonglass (Hex Hall #2), and have moved on to Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale by Ramona Wray
Format: paperback
Page: 75
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Life.
Thoughts: My pillows are so comfy, but I'm going to stay awake to appreciate them.


Photobucket
1 AM, HOUR 19:

Reading: Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale by Ramona Wray
Format: paperback
Page: 142
Location: Bedroom
Eating/drinking: Invisible gases essential to breathing.
Thoughts: Exhaustion is starting to sink in...but...I must stay...strong!




Photobucket

...Yeah, so after hour 19, I could no longer resist the warmth of my blanket and I passed out. Two and a half books read, total. Not bad, but I would have liked to have done better. Regardless, it was still a totally fun experience, and I'm definitely participating in October! I want to give a big shout out to all of the cheerleaders and other readers who stopped by my blog to wish me the luck and the strength to read as long as I did. Thanks guys! You totally rock, and made the Read-a-Thon as awesome as it was.